Thursday, May 5, 2016

Unit 9 Reflection


In Unit 9 , we learned about classification through an evolutionary perspective. Modern taxonomists classify organisms with a system of  "Domain -->Kingdom-->Phylum-->Class-->Order-->Family-->Genus-->Species". We also learned the three main domains; archaea, protista and eukarya. We belong to the domain of eukaryota. This effective system was first developed by Carl Linnaeus. Without this system, our understanding of organisms would be very unorganized. Of course, our tree of life is not completely filled up. I wonder if we will one day fill in the whole tree of life. Furthermore, I wish that we can somehow learn more about archaea, bacteria that live in extreme conditions. If we can somehow inherit these abilities, we could explore more areas of our world such as the deep sea or maybe other places in outer space.

 Link

Throughout this unit, we worked on a project called What On Earth Evolved. Each student got one species out of the top 100 that changed the world. I got the organism, Australopithecus. Even though I knew nothing about it before I started the project, I learned quickly and it turned out to be the best project I have doe all year in any class. I really got to learn about a new species, while also having fun. The California Academy of Sciences trip also helped me with the project as I got a deep explanation of Australopithecus from one of the guides. Apart from the information, I really got some experience with developing a slide show and speaking in public. My slideshow is attached down below. I spent almost three hours on this, and I think I really gave my best on this project. I then tried to memorize as much as I could for the presentation, and I was really surprised with my delivery. I thought I would get very nervous, but once I got going, I got going. I really enjoyed the project, and I am very excited for doing more projects like this.

One project I will get to do similar to that project is our 20 Time Project. Our project is on sensory impairment for better learning and memorization. However, I can use the skills I learned from the What On Earth Evolved project to help aid my 20 time project. I've learned that the less words on the slides, the better. For our 20 Time slideshow, we will try to put as little words as possible, if any. We will try to have a talk with our audience rather than just memorizing a speech. 
 Link

No comments:

Post a Comment